How do you unclog a drain when there’s standing water?
Blocked bathtubs and showers will often come accompanied with standing water – this needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.
1. Remove Standing Water
First things first, you need to remove the standing water before tackling the blockage itself.
Use buckets or any suitable containers to remove the water – and don’t use your bath or shower until the blockage is cleared.
2. Check for Blockages
Now it’s time to unclog the drain. Check for any visible signs of blockage around the drain – such as hair – and remove them as best you can. To clear the blockage further down the pipe, there are two favoured, chemical-free solutions:
- Baking soda, hot water and vinegar or Hot water and washing up liquid
3. How to Remove any Blockages
Both of these methods follow a similar process:
- Boil up to three cups of water and pour that down your drain
- After a couple of minutes, mix your chosen solution.
Either 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar, or 1 cup of hot water and a generous dose of washing up liquid
- Pour this into your drain and leave it to work its way through your drain – 10 minutes should be enough
- Now flush the drain with some more boiling water – another three cups should do the trick
That should fix your issue. Still no luck? It could be that you have a larger problem with your drain that you can’t see. Take a look at our resource centre article on what to look out for if you think you have a blocked drain.