How To Prevent Burst Pipes During The Winter
Winter weather can wreak havoc on your home and its contents if you have not prepared your property for a change in conditions. A typical winter season in the UK sees a drop in temperature, snow and flooding, all of which can have a detrimental effect on your drains and plumbing. In turn, this can lead to costly repairs if things go wrong, so it’s important you have the precautionary measures in place to prevent any damage.
As experts in drain unblocking, we have compiled a list of the most common reasons for burst pipes during the winter, and how best to avoid this happening on your property.
What causes pipes to burst?
It’s far better to be aware of the causes of burst pipes rather than waiting for a serious problem to occur, as the latter can lead to very costly repairs. Ice blockages in your household pipes are created by the water flowing through your home freezing and expanding inside the pipework. Over time, this process of water freezing and expanding inside the pipe causes a buildup of pressure, which eventually leads to the pipe bursting.
How can I prevent this from happening to my household pipes?
Keeping your drains as free from dirt, debris and grime as possible will encourage a free flow of water through the pipes, meaning blockages are less likely to form. Regular maintenance and being mindful of what you pour down your drains will help achieve this:
– Keep gutters free from leaves, twigs, branches and other debris
– Be careful not to pour fat and grease down the drains – wait for it to cool and throw it in the bin
– Do not flush wipes, sanitary wear or nappies down the toilet
How do I avoid frozen pipes?
As temperatures drop during the winter months, the risk of frozen pipes increases for many homes across the UK. Frozen blockages inside your household pipework can cause the flow of water to become restricted which, in turn, leads to burst pipes.
This problem can be easily avoided by:
– Making sure any exposed pipes are properly insulated with pipe lagging and heat tape
– Pouring a small amount of hot water down your sink to remove any build-up of fats, oils and grease in your drains
– Checking your pipes regularly to make sure they haven’t frozen or burst
– Keeping an eye out for any dripping taps as this excess water is more likely to freeze – this may indicate that the tap needs it’s washers renewed
If you suspect that your property is suffering from blocked drains, or you are worried about them freezing and bursting over the winter, our experts here at Clearfirst can help tackle the problem before it escalates into a bigger, more costly issue. Using specialist techniques and equipment, our range of services include:
- Drain unblocking
- Drain cleaning
- Drain repairs
We are dedicated to providing a prompt, affordable service and comprehensive aftercare, giving you the peace of mind that comes with being in the hands of drainage experts. For further information about any of our services, simply get in touch with our friendly team today.